- Our School
- Parent Involvement
- Support WCE
- Contact Us
Welcome to Westerly Creek Elementary
Events Calendar | Specials Calendar We make every effort to transfer upcoming events to the list below, but the Events Calendar is where you will find a complete listing of event dates. Please always check the calendar.
- The HOWL newsletter | Spring Edition
- The HOWL newsletter | Fall Edition
- Kaleidoscope 2015-16 Registration Important Update for Families!
- Summer Enrichment through Kaleidoscope | Register Now for Kaleidoscope Summer Programs
- Sign Up Now: Coach Ken’s Young N Active Summer Camps
- Order your EduKit school supplies for 2015-16! | June 10 Early Bird deadline to get free shipping to the school
- June 9-11: Walk In Registration | Required of all ECE/Kinder enrollees and all new families to DPS regardless of grade level | WCE Front Office
- Mid-July: On-line registration verification for returning students | Available for any child was enrolled in DPS in the prior school year, except for ECE and Kindergarten | May eliminate need to do walk in registration
- Aug 3-17: Late Registration at WCE for ECE and Kindergarten families, as well as any family new to DPS enrolling at WCE or any family who prefers to register in person | WCE Front Office
- Aug 20: Wolf Den Welcome/Back to School | WCE School Grounds | All Parents need to plan to attend this event as it will be replacing Back to School Nights | Block Schedule by Grade (continue to check here for updates) throughout the day
Yearbooks that were pre-ordered were distributed to 5th graders on Jun 2. All other grades will receive their pre-ordered yearbooks on June 3. If you have questions about a missing order, please contact Cathy Kautzman. Additional yearbooks may be available for sale in limited quantities prior to the end of the school year and if you would like place your name on the list to order one please contact Cathy – distribution of those is on a first come, first served basis. If you missed the deadline but still would like to order a yearbook, those can be made on-line and will cost $30 plus shipping to your home.
Walk In Registration: All new families to the district, all ECE, and all Kindergarten families must complete Walk In Registration at the school between Jun 9-11. Late Walk In Registration will take place beginning August 3rd. Families will receive a postcard in the mail with details about dates and times assigned by last name. During registration you will review the paperwork the district has on file, make any changes, confirm accuracy, submit immunization forms, receive your child’s classroom assignment, and complete additional steps to prepare for the coming school year.
On-Line Registration Verification: If you are already an established family within the district and your child is in 1st-5th grade, you may complete registration verification either through the Parent Portal or you may come to Walk In Registration. You must create a parent portal account to register on-line. Not all verifications and changes may be made on-line and could still require you to fill out paperwork or submit documentation on site at the school. You can do on-line verification starting in mid-July. Please review the necessary steps to prepare for and complete online registration verification here. On-line registration is a new option and is not required. If you choose not to use on-line registration verification, you will need to complete this process at the school starting August 3rd.
If you missed June registration, you just need to contact Wanda Wilson or walk in to the front office beginning August 3rd to complete this step. The school office will be closed between June 12 and August 3 so you may not receive a reply to email correspondence until closer to August. Any other inquiries about your DPS enrollment should be directed to the DPS District Office of Choice and Enrollment Services.
EduKit School Supplies orders can now be placed for the 2015-16 school year! When you order your supplies from EduKit, a portion of the proceeds comes back to our school. If you prefer not to go shopping, this is a convenient way to get school supplies and it benefits WCE! Place your order by June 10 and you’ll get free shipping directly to the school prior to the start of the school year. Extended on-line orders can be placed from Jun 11- Aug 6 and will be shipped directly to your home. If you don’t want to order on-line, you can download the order form and return it completed to the school by June 1, along with your check made payable to Westerly Creek Elementary PTA.
ALL FAMILIES MARK YOUR CALENDARS! Wolf Den Welcome combines with Back to School Night! This August 20 will combine two traditional events held at the beginning of the school year. Wolf Den Welcome will not only be a fun way for us to gather as a community prior to the first day of school and meet the teachers, but will also now incorporate all of the information that we historically covered with parents at Back to School Nights. It is truly a fun welcoming of students and parents back to school and getting familiar with grade level expectations prior to the first day of the next school year. There will be food trucks, games/activities for the kids, Enrichment activities, meeting teachers, and of course the popsicles! All families will want to mark their calendars to attend this Aug 20 event as there will not be multiple Back to School Nights scheduled in the evenings during the first week of school. Stay tuned for information on when each grade level parent presentation will be scheduled. Don’t miss this fun and informative welcome back to school!
Kaleidoscope Summer Enrichment Programs. Registration for Summer Enrichment Programs through Kaleidoscope is now open. Summer camp begins June 15, 6:30 am to 6:00 pm at the following camp sites: Westerly Creek, Sandoval, Bradley, Isabella Bird, and Ebert. A morning snack will be provided each day between 8:30 and 9:00 am and an afternoon snack between 3:00 and 3:30 pm. Your child will need to bring a sack lunch to camp each day, and if your child is enrolled in Small World for the summer (3-4 yrs old) they will also need to bring a pillow and blanket for a one- hour rest period daily. Summer medication or epi- pen paperwork must be approved by the Kaleidoscope Nurse before the start of camp. Westerly Creek field trips will be on Thursday’s of each week.
Sign up to Receive FACE Monthly Newsletter: The Office of Family and Community Engagement (FACE) sends out a monthly newsletter to teachers, parents, families and community members with information about community meetings, events and other resources. We encourage you to sign up to receive these newsletters.
Translated DPS Information for Parents Available Online: A variety of information is available online in seven languages: English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Somali, Arabic, Amharic and Nepali. To access this translated information visit
Safety First, Safety Always Campaign will tie in many safety initiatives for students and families including safety around the Kiss and Go, Halloween, Internet Safety, home safety awareness, and more! The campaign has been embraced by DPS senior leadership, the Facilities Safety Department, and local municipality services. Please join us in our efforts so we can all enjoy a safe educational environment and community.
Safety and Parking Matters! Drop off and pick up times are very congested and busy at Westerly Creek. To reduce problems and increase safety, please consider the following:
- If you drive your children to and from school, consider parking 1-2 blocks away. The walk is healthy and it keeps vehicular congestion at a minimum!
- NO CELL PHONE USE IN SCHOOL ZONES
- REMEMBER the speed limit is 20 MPH in school zones. Slower would be better!
- Please keep the Kiss and Go lanes on the north, east and west sides moving. Those lanes are for dropping children off only and are not parking spots.
- Don’t park too closely to stop signs, crosswalks, or fire hydrants, and pay close attention to NO PARKING signs.
- No family parking in the WEST parking lot. This lot is for staff only. DO NOT PULL INTO THE LOT FOR ANY REASON.
- Do not attempt to make three point or U-turns in the streets surrounding the schools. The streets are too congested and students could get hurt.
- Be considerate of the Auction Winner reserved spaces in the West and East parking lots. They are reserved 15 minutes before and after the morning and afternoon bells for the four families who won them at the auction. Feeling jealous? Don’t worry, they will be up for bid again in the spring for the next school year!
Help Us Help You | Important Requests from WCE Administration
- Minimizing Classroom Interruptions is Essential
- Please Wait for the 3:45pm Dismissal Bell
- DPS Intercom Door Policies and Procedures
Security Process at Front Desk! Parents, volunteers, and visitors please know that because our security badges are not being returned, you will need to submit your keys or your ID at the front desk in order to receive a badge to access your child’s classroom or the building at large, except on days when there are large programs and for which you will receive a sticker. Badges are expensive and since they are not being returned, we need to move to a different procedure to ensure they are returned. Please continue to check for school security badges that you may have inadvertently worn home. These badges must be returned to the Westerly Creek Elementary office immediately. As always, during the school day ALL parents and visitors must enter the building on the East end (by Akron St.) and sign in at the front desk to receive a badge. Visitors must keep badges visible at all times while in the building. Check out and exit through the east entrance doors. Please do not enter or exit the building through any other door. While parents and guardians are welcome to visit and volunteer in our classrooms, prior arrangements are required. Please arrange these times in advance with the front office administration and/or your child’s teacher. If you have any questions about this policy you may call the front office at 720-424-3160. Thank you.