- Our School
- Parent Involvement
- Support WCE
- Contact Us
Welcome to Westerly Creek Elementary
- The HOWL newsletter | Spring Edition
- The HOWL newsletter | Fall Edition
- Sign Up Now: Coach Ken’s Young N Active Summer Camps
- Buy Auction Tickets Now! | Auction on April 11 | Grand Hyatt Denver
- Update on School Choice Notifications | See below
- Apr 14, 15, & 16: CMAS Social Studies Testing | 4th Grade | 9:15-11:30 AM
- Apr 14, 15, & 16: CMAS Science Testing | 5th Grade | 12:00-2:30 PM
- Apr 11: WCE Auction
- Apr 17: ECE classes not in session | ECE teacher professional development days
- Apr 27 -May 22: CMAS PARCC Literacy and Math End of Year Testing | 3rd-5th Grades
- Apr 27 – May 29: End of Year Interims District Testing | All Grades
- May 5: 4th Grade Field Trip | 9:30-2:30 | Adams Mystery Playhouse
- May 6: DPS Honor Choir Performance
- May 13: First Grade Field Trip | Denver Zoo | 9:15-2:00
- May 13: Envision Expo | 5th Grade GT students | 5 – 6 PM | WCE Library
- May 14: Envision Expo | 3rd Grade GT students | 5 – 6 PM | WCE Library
- May 15: 5th Grade Assessment Beyond the Common Core: Visual Arts | in the AM
- May 15: Field Day | Primary Grades in the AM | Intermediate Grades in the PM
- May 18: Assessment Beyond the Common Core: Music | 2nd Grade | Written component
- May 18: Assessment Beyond the Common Core: Visual Arts | 4th Grade | During Specials
- May 19: Assessment Beyond the Common Core: Music | 2nd Grade | Performance Component
- May 18: Envision Expo | 4th Grade GT students | 5 -6 PM | WCE Library
- May 20: 2nd Grade Field Trip | 9:30 am – 1:30 pm | Denver Botanic Gardens
- May 21: 3rd Grade Night of the Notables Performance | 6:00 PM | Throughout School
School Choice Round One Family Notification: The Choice & Enrollment Services Team is finalizing the choice results for 2015-16. Results are expected to be received by families by Tuesday, March 17. We recognize that families may have expected results sooner, but ensuring accuracy and correct results for families is our top priority. We appreciate your patience.
Choice Manager, Central Region
Office of Choice & Enrollment Services
Denver Public Schools
3131 N Eliot Street, Denver, CO 80211
The round one choice process opened December 15 and ended Jan 30, 2015. If you have an ECE3 going into ECE 4, and ECE4 going into Kindergarten, or a 5th grader going into Middle School, you need to participate in the school choice process, which is made easier via the form on-line through the Parent Portal. Setting up a Parent Portal is easy.
Important CMAS information for 3rd-5th grade Parents! CMAS testing will begin in March. Your child’s teacher will be sharing important information with you about the testing schedule and what’s necessary to prepare your child. Parents, it is IMPERATIVE that your child is present and on-time for testing. It’s also IMPERATIVE that you do not schedule appointments during tests. Once a test is underway, a child will not be dismissed until their test is completed. Test times vary between 60 and 90 minutes depending on the unit being taken. Children who are late on test days, must remain sequestered in the front office until the test is over and then those children must make up the missed test before they can take the next test with the rest of the class (tests must be taken in order). Having to make up tests could result in additional lost instruction time for your child.
Restaurant Nights are here! Each year the PTA partners with local restaurants to raise money for our school. Our Chipotle Night raised $1200 for our school! When you dine at the designated restaurant during the scheduled hours and date a percentage of what you spend will come back to WCE. So, take a night off from cooking, meet up with other families, and help WCE raise funds for our school!
Parent Engagement Nights are coordinated by two fabulous WCE teachers, America Bateman and Alicia Fajohn, these educational sessions are dedicated to providing parents with tips and tools to enhance their child’s success in school and at home. Food and childcare will be provided.
PENs for the remainder of the school year are scheduled from 5:30-6:30 on Feb. 4, Mar 4, Apr 8, & May 6. See the school Calendar to the right for topics covered at each PEN.
If you would like to recommend topics most important to parents, please submit your ideas via the Parent Engagement Night Survey.
WCE Auction | This year’s auction, themed “Black & White…but bring your green!” is sure to be another hit. Scheduled for April 11 and housed at the Grand Hyatt Denver downtown, the auction is our biggest FUNdraiser of the year. All money raised will come back to WCE in the form of the annual grant that funds our Specials Program. So, don your best Black & White attire and bring your generous giving spirit (not to mention your green) to support our amazing school!
Purchase your tickets now! $40/person now | $50 at the door
We’ve reserved a block of rooms at a discounted rate in the Grand Hyatt Denver if you’d like to stay on property: Reserve your space today.
Continuation Pictures for 5th Grade are scheduled for April 9. Parents, please mark your calendars. All other school pictures have all been taken at WCE. If you have questions about pictures you already purchased, please contact Dorian Studios (1-800-826-3535).
Interim Assessments | District interim assessments in literacy and math take place three times a year in all grades. Your child’s teacher(s) will be administering these assessments, which take place in October, in December, and at the end of the year in late April/May (separate from CMAS PARCC, formerly called TCAP). During this time each class will administer two literacy (reading/writing integrated) and/or one to two math assessments, depending on the grade. The information gathered helps inform instruction in the classrooms and is an additional data point that provides information to teachers about student progress. Please help us by ensuring your child doesn’t have appointments scheduled, gets adequate sleep, has a good breakfast, and is on time and ready to go on assessment days.
WCE Lost and Found is on the West end of the school on the first floor under the stairwell. Please check the Lost and Found often if your child loses/misplaces any personal items. Each month, unclaimed items will be donated. For easy identification, please make sure all clothing and personal items are marked with your child’s name.
Sign up to Receive FACE Monthly Newsletter: The Office of Family and Community Engagement (FACE) sends out a monthly newsletter to teachers, parents, families and community members with information about community meetings, events and other resources. We encourage you to sign up to receive these newsletters.
Translated DPS Information for Parents Available Online: A variety of information is available online in seven languages: English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Somali, Arabic, Amharic and Nepali. To access this translated information visit
Safety First, Safety Always Campaign will tie in many safety initiatives for students and families including safety around the Kiss and Go, Halloween, Internet Safety, home safety awareness, and more! The campaign has been embraced by DPS senior leadership, the Facilities Safety Department, and local municipality services. Please join us in our efforts so we can all enjoy a safe educational environment and community.
Current Safety Topic: Fire Safety
Safety and Parking Matters! Drop off and pick up times are very congested and busy at Westerly Creek. To reduce problems and increase safety, please consider the following:
- If you drive your children to and from school, consider parking 1-2 blocks away. The walk will be good for you!
- NO CELL PHONE USE IN SCHOOL ZONES
- REMEMBER the speed limit is 20 MPH in school zones. Slower would be better!
- Please keep the Kiss and Go lanes on the north, east and west sides moving. Those lanes are for dropping children off only and are not parking spots.
- Don’t park too closely to stop signs, crosswalks, or fire hydrants, and pay close attention to NO PARKING signs.
- No parking in the WEST parking lot. This lot is for staff only. DO NOT PULL INTO THE LOT FOR ANY REASON.
- Do not attempt to make three point or U-turns in the streets surrounding the schools. The streets are too congested and students could get hurt.
- Be considerate of the Auction Winner reserved spaces in the West and East parking lots. They are reserved 15 minutes before and after the morning and afternoon bells for the four families who won them at the auction. Feeling jealous? Don’t worry, they will be up for bid again in the spring for the 2015-2016 school year!
Help Us Help You | Important Requests from WCE Administration
- Minimizing Classroom Interruptions is Essential
- Please Wait for the 3:45pm Dismissal Bell
- DPS Intercom Door Policies and Procedures
Security Process at Front Desk! Parents, volunteers, and visitors please know that because our security badges are not being returned, you will need to submit your keys or your ID at the front desk in order to receive a badge to access your child’s classroom or the building at large, except on days when there are large programs and for which you will receive a sticker. Badges are expensive and since they are not being returned, we need to move to a different procedure to ensure they are returned. Please continue to check for school security badges that you may have inadvertently worn home. These badges must be returned to the Westerly Creek Elementary office immediately.
As always, during the school day ALL parents and visitors must enter the building on the East end (by Akron St.) and sign in at the front desk to receive a badge. Visitors must keep badges visible at all times while in the building. Check out and exit through the east entrance doors. Please do not enter or exit the building through any other door.
While parents and guardians are welcome to visit and volunteer in our classrooms, prior arrangements are required. Please arrange these times in advance with the front office administration and/or your child’s teacher. If you have any questions about this policy you may call the front office at 720-424-3160.