- Our School
- Parent Involvement
- Support WCE
- Contact Us
Welcome to Westerly Creek Elementary
- Ongoing: Safety First, Safety Always Campaign
- Sign Up Now: 4th and 5th Graders for Chess Club | Meetings begin in January | Register with Katie Yeager now
- Dec 15 – Jan 30: School Choice Round 1 Opens | Complete via Parent Portal | Set up your Parent Portal at least one week in advance
- Dec 18: First Grade Musical Performance | 6:30 – 7:30 PM | WCE Cafeteria
- Dec 18: Northfield High School Open Forum | 6:30 PM | Sam Gary Library 2961 Roslyn St.
- Dec 19: Gymnastics Talent Show | 10 AM 3rd-5th & 2 PM K-2nd | WCE Gym
- Dec 19: Winter Holiday Parties | In Classrooms
- Dec 22- Jan 5, 2015: Winter Break | No School
- Jan 7: CREEK Kid Assembly | 9:45 – 10:15 ECE-2nd & 10:20-10:45 3rd-5th | WCE Gym
- Jan 12: Fire Safety Presentation | 1st-3rd WCE Gym | 5th grades in classrooms
- Jan 12: 5th Grade Science Fair
- Jan 13: 4th Grade Science Fair | 2-3:15 PM
- Jan 14: Hearing and Vision Screenings begin
- Jan 15: CREEK Kid Video Filming | 8 AM | Music Room
- Jan 16: Bundport Theater’s “Yesterado” Performance | 9:30-10:30 AM Primary Grades | WCE Cafeteria
- Jan 16: Bundport Theater’s “Yesterado” Performance | 2:30-3:30 PM Intermediate Grades | WCE Cafeteria
- Jan 21: Restaurant Night – TAG
- Jan 23: Fire Safety Trailer on site | Grades 2nd-5th rotate through
- Feb 4: CREEK Kid Assemblies | 9:45 – 10:15 ECE-2nd & 10:20-10:45 3rd-5th | WCE Gym
- Feb 12: CREEK Kid Video Filming | 8 AM | Music Room
- Feb 12: Parent-Student Dance | ECE-2nd Grade | 6-7 PM | WCE Gym
- Feb 19: 4th Grade Musical | 6:30-7:30 PM | WCE Cafetorium
- Mar 13: Fire Safety Program | Kindergarten | WCE Gym
- Mar 21: Baby & Kid Items Sale | 8 AM – 12 PM | WCE Cafetorium
- April 11: Save the Date | WCE Auction
- Apr 17: ECE classes not in session | ECE teacher professional development days
School Choice Round One opens December 15 and remains open through Jan 30, 2015. If you have an ECE3 going into ECE 4, and ECE4 going into Kindergarten, or a 5th grader going into Middle School, you need to participate in the school choice process, which is made easier via the form on-line through the Parent Portal. Setting up a Parent Portal is easy.
New Security Process at Front Desk! Parents, volunteers, and visitors please know that because our security badges are not being returned, you will now need to submit your keys or your ID at the front desk in order to receive a badge to access your child’s classroom or the building at large, except on days when there are large programs that you receive a sticker for. Badges are expensive and since they are not being returned, we need to move to a different procedure to ensure they are returned. Please continue to check for school security badges that you may have inadvertently worn home. These badges must be returned to the Westerly Creek Elementary office immediately. Thank you.
Lost and Found: The Lost and Found area on the West end of the building is overrun with items. Please claim what is yours otherwise all items will be donated.
Safety First, Safety Always Campaign! Beginning October 27th, the school Safety Committee will be engaging in a new campaign called Safety First, Safety Always. It will tie in many safety initiatives for students and families including safety around the Kiss and Go, Halloween, Internet Safety, home safety awareness, and more! The campaign has been embraced by DPS senior leadership, the Facilities Safety Department, and local municipality services. Please join us in our efforts so we can all enjoy a safe educational environment and community.
Direct Giving Parties | What is direct giving? The budget DPS provides our school is short about $250 per student in meeting the educational needs of our children. So, each fall Direct Giving is how we close the funding gap. In order to do so, each family at WCE would need to make an annual donation of $250 for each of their children that attends WCE. Since we know every family cannot make that kind of contribution, the Direct Giving drive is how the school and PTA raises those funds. So join us at direct giving parties or make your donation on-line (you can make a one-time gift, or set an amount to be drawn monthly from your account)!
Restaurant Nights are here! Each year the PTA partners with local restaurants to raise money for our school. Our Chipotle Night raised $1200 for our school! When you dine at the designated restaurant during the scheduled hours and date, a percentage of what you spend will come back to WCE. So, take a night off from cooking, meet up with other families, and help WCE raise funds for our school!
School Picture Updates | Pictures have all been taken at WCE. If you didn’t submit payment at the time of your child’s photo, you must contact Dorian Studios to make payment and place your order (1-800-826-3535). Payments will NOT be accepted at the school.
Interim Assessments | District interim assessments in literacy and math take place three times a year. Your child’s teacher(s) will be administering these assessments, which take place in October, in December, and at the end of the year in late April/May (separate from CMAS, formerly called TCAP). During this time each class will administer two literacy (reading/writing integrated) and/or one to two math assessments, depending on the grade. The information gathered helps inform instruction in the classrooms and is an additional data point that provides information to teachers about student progress. Please help us by ensuring your child doesn’t have appointments scheduled, gets adequate sleep, has a good breakfast, and is on time and ready to go on assessment days.
Parent Engagement Nights have begun! Coordinated by two fabulous WCE teachers, America Bateman and Alicia Fajohn, these educational sessions are dedicated to providing parents with tips and tools to enhance their child’s success in school and at home. Food and childcare will be provided.
If you would like to recommend topics most important to parents, please submit your ideas via the Parent Engagement Night Survey.
The Final Northfield HS Open Forum is here. Forums provide an overview of the vision and mission of Northfield High School as well as details on the curriculum, course sequencing, core academic classes and elective pathways, International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, athletics teams and after-school clubs. The presentation is followed by Q&A. This is a great opportunity to learn more about Northfield High School before high school choice decisions.
WCE Lost and Found has moved …to the West end of the school on the first floor under the stairwell. Please check the Lost and Found often if your child loses/misplaces any personal items. Each month, unclaimed items will be donated. For easy identification, please make sure all clothing and personal items are marked with your child’s name.
3rd, 4th & 5th Grade Gifted & Talented Expos! Courtesy of Mrs. Hertzfeldt and Mrs. Cirkus, enjoy this Westerly Creek Production in association with iMovie: 5th Grade GT Expo | 3rd & 4th GT Expos | GT Blog | GT Info | We are so proud! Enjoy!!
Sign up to Receive FACE Monthly Newsletter: The Office of Family and Community Engagement (FACE) sends out a monthly newsletter to teachers, parents, families and community members with information about community meetings, events and other resources. We encourage you to sign up to receive these newsletters.
Translated DPS Information for Parents Available Online: A variety of information is available online in seven languages: English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Somali, Arabic, Amharic and Nepali. To access this translated information visit http://communications.dpsk12.org/languages/index.html, then choose your preferred language in the right-hand navigation. We hope this resource is useful to our WCE families!
Parents & Guardians in the Classroom: While parents and guardians are welcome to visit and volunteer in our classrooms, prior arrangements are required. Please arrange these times in advance with the front office administration and/or your child’s teacher. If you have any questions about this policy you may call the front office at 720-424-3160.
All Guests Must Sign In: During school hours, ALL visitors and volunteers must enter through the main entrance on 28th Ave & Akron St to check in with the front office staff, AND wear the appropriate visitors badge visible at all times, then check out and exit through the main entrance doors. Please do not enter or exit the building through any other door. Thanks for your continued cooperation.
Safety and Parking Matters! Drop off and pick up times are very congested and busy at Westerly Creek. To reduce problems and increase safety, please consider the following:
- If you drive your children to and from school, consider parking 1-2 blocks away. The walk will be good for you!
- NO CELL PHONE USE IN SCHOOL ZONES
- REMEMBER the speed limit is 20 MPH in school zones. Slower would be better!
- Please keep the Kiss and Go lanes on the north, east and west sides moving. Those lanes are for dropping children off only and are not parking spots.
- Don’t park too closely to stop signs, crosswalks, or fire hydrants, and pay close attention to NO PARKING signs.
- No parking in the WEST parking lot. This lot is for staff only. DO NOT PULL INTO THE LOT FOR ANY REASON.
- Do not attempt to make three point or U-turns in the streets surrounding the schools. The streets are too congested and students could get hurt.
- Be considerate of the Auction Winner reserved spaces in the West and East parking lots. They are reserved 15 minutes before and after the morning and afternoon bells for the four families who won them at the auction. Feeling jealous? Don’t worry, they will be up for bid again in the spring for the 2015-2016 school year!
Help Us Help You | Important Requests from WCE Administration
- Minimizing Classroom Interruptions is Essential
- Please Wait for the 3:45pm Dismissal Bell
- DPS Intercom Door Policies and Procedures
Child Safety at WCE – Reminder: As outlined in the WCE parent handbook, every adult that enters the school grounds and building must first sign in and wear a visitor’s badge at all times. This applies to volunteers, visitors, parents dropping off school work, etc.
In addition, adults picking up a student early must be authorized in our system and show a valid picture ID. No exceptions. Enter only at the east entrance on Akron Street. Thank you for your cooperation.