- Our School
- Parent Involvement
- Support WCE
- Contact Us
Welcome to Westerly Creek Elementary
- The HOWL newsletter | Fall Edition
- Sign Up Now: Coach Ken’s Young N Active Summer Camps
- Sign Up Now: Spring Enrichment Programs
- Buy Auction Tickets Now! | Auction on April 11 | Grand Hyatt Denver
- Mar 2-6: Under the Sea Scholastic Book Fair | NW Lobby | See times below and on calendar
- Mar 3: CSC Meeting | 5-6 PM | WCE Library
- Mar 4: Parent Engagement Night | Topic: Math Strategies – All Grades | 5:30-6:30 PM | WCE Library
- Mar 5: New Date 4th Grade Musical | 6:30-7:30 PM | WCE Cafetorium | (rescheduled from 2/26)
- Mar 6: Jump Rope for Heart | WCE Gym
- Mar 7: SEAC Summer Resource Fair | 10 AM-12:30 PM | Manual High School
- Mar 10: PTA Meeting & Board Elections | 6-8 PM | WCE Library
- Mar 10-13: CMAS PARCC State Testing Part 1 Literacy & Math & Make-ups | 3rd Grade (see note to parents below)
- Mar 10: PTA Meeting & Board Elections | 6-8 PM | WCE Library
- Mar 11: Restaurant Night – Session Kitchen | Reservations Recommended | Call 720.763.3387 and mention WCE
- Mar 13: Fire Safety Program | Kindergarten | WCE Gym
- Mar 13: 4th & 5th Grade Choir | Sings National Anthem at Nuggets Game
- Mar 16-20 CMAS PARCC State Testing Part 1 Literacy & Make-Ups | 4th-5th Grades (see note to parents below)
- Mar 16: Irish Step Dancing Performance | 9:30-10 AM ECE-2nd | 10:15-10:45 3rd – 5th | WCE Cafetorium
- Mar 21: Baby & Kid Items Sale | 8 AM – 12 PM | WCE Cafetorium
- Mar 22-27: CMAS PARCC State Testing Part 1 Math & Make Ups | 4th & 5th Grades (see note to parents below)
- Apr 14- May 1: CMAS Science and Social Studies Testing | 4th and 5th Grades
- Apr 11: WCE Auction
- Apr 17: ECE classes not in session | ECE teacher professional development days
- Apr 27 -May 22: CMAS PARCC Literacy and Math End of Year Testing | 3rd-5th Grades
- Apr 27 – May 29: End of Year Interims District Testing | All Grades
- May 4 -June 5: Assessments Beyond the Common Core | 2nd, 4th, and 5th Grades
- May 6: DPS Honor Choir Performance
- May 13: Envision Expo | 5th Grade GT students | 5 – 6 PM | WCE Library
- May 14: Envision Expo | 3rd Grade GT students | 5 – 6 PM | WCE Library
- May 18: Envision Expo | 4th Grade GT students | 5 -6 PM | WCE Library
- May 20: 2nd Grade Field Trip | 9:30 am – 1:30 pm | Denver Botanic Gardens
- May 21: 3rd Grade Night of the Notables Performance | 6:00 PM | Throughout School
School Choice Round One opens December 15 and remains open through Jan 30, 2015. If you have an ECE3 going into ECE 4, and ECE4 going into Kindergarten, or a 5th grader going into Middle School, you need to participate in the school choice process, which is made easier via the form on-line through the Parent Portal. Setting up a Parent Portal is easy.
Important CMAS information for 3rd-5th grade Parents! CMAS testing will begin in March. Your child’s teacher will be sharing important information with you about the testing schedule and what’s necessary to prepare your child. Parents, it is IMPERATIVE that your child is present and on-time for testing. It’s also IMPERATIVE that you do not schedule appointments during tests. Once a test is underway, a child will not be dismissed until their test is completed. Test times vary between 60 and 90 minutes depending on the unit being taken. Children who are late on test days, must remain sequestered in the front office until the test is over and then those children must make up the missed test before they can take the next test with the rest of the class (tests must be taken in order). Having to make up tests could result in additional lost instruction time for your child.
Underwater Adventure Awaits at our Scholastic Spring Book Fair: March 2-6. Grab your (metaphorical) scuba gear and dive into reading at our Book Fair Under the Sea! Explore an Ocean of Books next week March 2-6 in the 1st floor northwest lobby. Shop before and after school Monday – Friday only. As always, there will be a great selection of affordable books for ECE through 5th grade and beyond. You can also shop for your child’s teacher and help fill class room wish lists.
Mon and Tues: 8:30-5:30
Weds and Thurs: 8:30-6:00
Restaurant Nights are here! Each year the PTA partners with local restaurants to raise money for our school. Our Chipotle Night raised $1200 for our school! When you dine at the designated restaurant during the scheduled hours and date a percentage of what you spend will come back to WCE. So, take a night off from cooking, meet up with other families, and help WCE raise funds for our school!
Next up: Mar 11, Session Kitchen (reservations recommended: (720) 763-3387)
Parent Engagement Nights are coordinated by two fabulous WCE teachers, America Bateman and Alicia Fajohn, these educational sessions are dedicated to providing parents with tips and tools to enhance their child’s success in school and at home. Food and childcare will be provided.
PENs for the remainder of the school year are scheduled from 5:30-6:30 on Feb. 4, Mar 4, Apr 8, & May 6. See the school Calendar to the right for topics covered at each PEN.
If you would like to recommend topics most important to parents, please submit your ideas via the Parent Engagement Night Survey.
WCE Auction | This year’s auction, themed “Black & White…but bring your green!” is sure to be another hit. Scheduled for April 11 and housed at the Grand Hyatt Denver downtown, the auction is our biggest FUNdraiser of the year. All money raised will come back to WCE in the form of the annual grant that funds our Specials Program. So, don your best Black & White attire and bring your generous giving spirit (not to mention your green) to support our amazing school!
Purchase your tickets now! $40/person now | $50 at the door
We’ve reserved a block of rooms at a discounted rate in the Grand Hyatt Denver if you’d like to stay on property: Reserve your space today.
Continuation Pictures for 5th Grade are scheduled for April 9. Parents, please mark your calendars. All other school pictures have all been taken at WCE. If you have questions about pictures you already purchased, please contact Dorian Studios (1-800-826-3535).
Interim Assessments | District interim assessments in literacy and math take place three times a year in all grades. Your child’s teacher(s) will be administering these assessments, which take place in October, in December, and at the end of the year in late April/May (separate from CMAS PARCC, formerly called TCAP). During this time each class will administer two literacy (reading/writing integrated) and/or one to two math assessments, depending on the grade. The information gathered helps inform instruction in the classrooms and is an additional data point that provides information to teachers about student progress. Please help us by ensuring your child doesn’t have appointments scheduled, gets adequate sleep, has a good breakfast, and is on time and ready to go on assessment days.
WCE Lost and Found is on the West end of the school on the first floor under the stairwell. Please check the Lost and Found often if your child loses/misplaces any personal items. Each month, unclaimed items will be donated. For easy identification, please make sure all clothing and personal items are marked with your child’s name.
Sign up to Receive FACE Monthly Newsletter: The Office of Family and Community Engagement (FACE) sends out a monthly newsletter to teachers, parents, families and community members with information about community meetings, events and other resources. We encourage you to sign up to receive these newsletters.
Translated DPS Information for Parents Available Online: A variety of information is available online in seven languages: English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Somali, Arabic, Amharic and Nepali. To access this translated information visit
Safety First, Safety Always Campaign will tie in many safety initiatives for students and families including safety around the Kiss and Go, Halloween, Internet Safety, home safety awareness, and more! The campaign has been embraced by DPS senior leadership, the Facilities Safety Department, and local municipality services. Please join us in our efforts so we can all enjoy a safe educational environment and community.
Current Safety Topic: Fire Safety
Safety and Parking Matters! Drop off and pick up times are very congested and busy at Westerly Creek. To reduce problems and increase safety, please consider the following:
- If you drive your children to and from school, consider parking 1-2 blocks away. The walk will be good for you!
- NO CELL PHONE USE IN SCHOOL ZONES
- REMEMBER the speed limit is 20 MPH in school zones. Slower would be better!
- Please keep the Kiss and Go lanes on the north, east and west sides moving. Those lanes are for dropping children off only and are not parking spots.
- Don’t park too closely to stop signs, crosswalks, or fire hydrants, and pay close attention to NO PARKING signs.
- No parking in the WEST parking lot. This lot is for staff only. DO NOT PULL INTO THE LOT FOR ANY REASON.
- Do not attempt to make three point or U-turns in the streets surrounding the schools. The streets are too congested and students could get hurt.
- Be considerate of the Auction Winner reserved spaces in the West and East parking lots. They are reserved 15 minutes before and after the morning and afternoon bells for the four families who won them at the auction. Feeling jealous? Don’t worry, they will be up for bid again in the spring for the 2015-2016 school year!
Help Us Help You | Important Requests from WCE Administration
- Minimizing Classroom Interruptions is Essential
- Please Wait for the 3:45pm Dismissal Bell
- DPS Intercom Door Policies and Procedures
Security Process at Front Desk! Parents, volunteers, and visitors please know that because our security badges are not being returned, you will need to submit your keys or your ID at the front desk in order to receive a badge to access your child’s classroom or the building at large, except on days when there are large programs and for which you will receive a sticker. Badges are expensive and since they are not being returned, we need to move to a different procedure to ensure they are returned. Please continue to check for school security badges that you may have inadvertently worn home. These badges must be returned to the Westerly Creek Elementary office immediately.
As always, during the school day ALL parents and visitors must enter the building on the East end (by Akron St.) and sign in at the front desk to receive a badge. Visitors must keep badges visible at all times while in the building. Check out and exit through the east entrance doors. Please do not enter or exit the building through any other door.
While parents and guardians are welcome to visit and volunteer in our classrooms, prior arrangements are required. Please arrange these times in advance with the front office administration and/or your child’s teacher. If you have any questions about this policy you may call the front office at 720-424-3160.