- Our School
- Parent Involvement
- Support WCE
- Contact Us
Welcome to Westerly Creek Elementary
- Aug 28: 1st-4th grade Back to School Night | 5 – 7pm | For the Parents | Visit Classrooms & Learn About Teachers
- Sept 1: No School | Labor Day holiday
- Sept 4 & 5: Kindergarten Reading Assessments | Noon dismissal only for Kindergarten classes |Schedule assessment time with your child’s teacher
- Sept 4: 5th grade Back to School Night | 5 – 6:30pm | For the Parents | Visit Classrooms & Learn About Teachers
- Sept 5: My Enrichment | Registration due
- Sept 5: Book It to the Creek | Pledges due
- Sept 8: Girls on the Run begins
- Sept 9: PTA General Meeting | 7pm | WCE Library | Topic: PTA 101
- Sept 16: Restaurant Night | 4 – 8 pm | Mici’s
- Sept 19: Book It to the Creek Celebration | Gymnasium
- Sept 22, Dec 1, Apr 17: ECE classes not in session | ECE teacher professional development days
- Oct 1: Restaurant Night | 4 – 8pm | Noodles & Co.
- Oct 10: Picture Day
New Specials Rotation | We are excited to add Drama to the Specials Program this year, which means that students will rotate through five Specials now instead of four. Monday, August 25, begins with an “A” day, and parents will learn more about your child’s specific rotation schedule at Back to School Night. Since your child needs to wear tennis shoes on PE days, please make sure your child either wears tennis shoes each day until you know his/her Special’s rotation, or has a change of shoes in his/her backpack. Check the Special’s Calendar anytime you have questions about what Specials day it is.
Back to School Nights (for the parents)! The children get to meet their teachers at the Wolf Den Welcome, now the parents get to hear from school administration and learn more about what to expect in the classroom during Back to School Night. ECE and Kindergarten grades meet on Aug 27th. First – Fourth grades meet on Aug 28th. Two recurrent sessions will be held each night, beginning with a large group address on the hour followed by time in individual classrooms. The first session begins at 5 pm and the second session begins at 6 pm in the Cafeteria.
Fifth Grade Parents will meet in the Library on Sept 4, 5-6:30, where ALL fifth grade teachers will address all fifth grade parents. You will not meet in individual classrooms. There is a lot of information to cover so the presentation will begin promptly at 5pm and you should plan to stay until 6:30pm.
My Enrichment program offerings and registration information is now available. Registration forms are due to Jackie Richardson by Sept 5, 2014.
Restaurant Nights are coming! Each year the PTA partners with local restaurants to raise money for our school. Just dine at the designated restaurant during the scheduled hours and date and a percentage of what you spend will come back to WCE. So, take a night off from cooking, meet up with other families, and help WCE raise funds for our school!
WCE Lost and Found has moved …to the West end of the school on the first floor under the stairwell. Please check the Lost and Found often if your child loses/misplaces any personal items. Each month, unclaimed items will be donated. For easy identification, please make sure all clothing and personal items are marked with your child’s name.
3rd, 4th & 5th Grade Gifted & Talented Expos! Courtesy of Mrs. Hertzfeldt and Mrs. Cirkus, enjoy this Westerly Creek Production in association with iMovie: 5th Grade GT Expo | 3rd & 4th GT Expos | GT Blog | GT Info | We are so proud! Enjoy!!
Sign up to Receive FACE Monthly Newsletter: The Office of Family and Community Engagement (FACE) sends out a monthly newsletter to teachers, parents, families and community members with information about community meetings, events and other resources. We encourage you to sign up to receive these newsletters.
Translated DPS Information for Parents Available Online: A variety of information is available online in seven languages: English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Somali, Arabic, Amharic and Nepali. To access this translated information visit http://communications.dpsk12.org/languages/index.html, then choose your preferred language in the right-hand navigation. We hope this resource is useful to our WCE families!
Parents & Guardians in the Classroom: While parents and guardians are welcome to visit and volunteer in our classrooms, prior arrangements are required. Please arrange these times in advance with the front office administration and/or your child’s teacher. If you have any questions about this policy you may call the front office at 720-424-3160.
All Guests Must Sign In: During school hours, ALL visitors and volunteers must enter through the main entrance on 28th Ave & Akron St to check in with the front office staff, AND wear the appropriate visitors badge visible at all times, then check out and exit through the main entrance doors. Please do not enter or exit the building through any other door. Thanks for your continued cooperation.
Safety and Parking Matters! Drop off and pick up times are very congested and busy at Westerly Creek. To reduce problems and increase safety, please consider the following:
- If you drive your children to and from school, consider parking 1-2 blocks away. The walk will be good for you!
- NO CELL PHONE USE IN SCHOOL ZONES
- REMEMBER the speed limit is 20 MPH in school zones. Slower would be better!
- Please keep the Kiss and Go lanes on the north, east and west sides moving. Those lanes are for dropping children off only and are not parking spots.
- Don’t park too closely to stop signs, crosswalks, or fire hydrants, and pay close attention to NO PARKING signs.
- No parking in the WEST parking lot. This lot is for staff only. DO NOT PULL INTO THE LOT FOR ANY REASON.
- Be considerate of the Auction Winner reserved spaces in the West and East parking lots. They are reserved 15 minutes before and after the morning and afternoon bells for the three families who won them at the auction. Feeling jealous? Don’t worry, they will be up for bid again in the spring for the 2015-2016 school year!
Help Us Help You | Important Requests from WCE Administration
- Minimizing Classroom Interruptions is Essential
- Please Wait for the 3:45pm Dismissal Bell
- DPS Intercom Door Policies and Procedures
Child Safety at WCE – Reminder: As outlined in the WCE parent handbook, every adult that enters the school grounds and building must first sign in and wear a visitor’s badge at all times. This applies to volunteers, visitors, parents dropping off school work, etc.
In addition, adults picking up a student early must be authorized in our system and show a valid picture ID. No exceptions. Enter only at the east entrance on Akron Street. Thank you for your cooperation.
August 2014 » M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Upcoming WCE Events
- Events on September 1, 2014
No School - Labor Day
Time: 12:00 am - 12:00 am
- Events on September 4, 2014
Kindergarten Assessment Day - Dismissal
Time: 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Events on September 5, 2014
Due: BOOK IT to the CREEK Pledges
Time: 12:00 am - 12:00 am